Every year nearly
4,000 Americans die in home fires and approximately 25,000 are injured.
Electrical fires are one of the leading types of home fires, especially
in manufactured homes. By following some simple rules on electrical safety
you can reduce the likelihood of an electrical fire in your home.
Prevent Electrical Problems
Studies of electrical
fires in homes show that many problems are associated with improper installation
of electrical devices by do-it-yourselfers. Common errors that can lead
to fires include the use of improperly rated devices
such as switches or receptacles and loose connections at these devices.
Both can lead to overheating and arcing that can start fires. Fires are
still caused by people using the wrong size fuse or even putting a penny
behind a fuse when they don't have a spare. These practices are very dangerous.
The fuse is a safety device designed to limit the electricity carried
by the circuit to a safe level. Electricity and water are a bad combination.
All electrical devices installed outdoors should be specially designed
for outdoor use. Outdoor receptacles as well as those in kitchens, bathrooms,
and anywhere else near water should be the ground fault circuit interrupting
Use Electrical Devices Safely
Light bulbs, especially
the newer halogen types, get very hot and can ignite combustible materials
that get too close. Clothing or towels should never be placed atop a lampshade
and table lamps should not be used without a shade where they might fall
over onto a bed or sofa. Most light fixtures are labeled to show the brightest
bulb that can be safely used in that fixture; too high a wattage bulb
can cause the fixture to overheat and start a fire. Extension cords are
a common cause of electrical fires. You must be careful to use only extension
cords that are rated for the power used by the device they are powering.
Extension cords should never be used as a long term solution to the need
for another receptacle. Extension cords must never be run inside walls
or under rugs or furniture. Extension cords can get warm in use and must
be able to dissipate this heat or they can start a fire.
The insulation on
electrical cords can become damaged by wear, flexing, or age. Do not use
any cord that is stiff or cracked. Some clues that you may have an electrical
Maintain Electrical Safely
1. Flickering lights. If the lights dim every time you turn on an appliance
that circuit is overloaded or has a loose connection.
2. Sparks. If sparks appear when you insert or remove a plug, they could
be a sign of loose connections.
3. Warm electrical cord. If an electrical cord is warm to the touch, the
cord is underrated or defective.
4. Frequent blown fuses or broken circuits. A fuse or circuit breaker
that keeps tripping is an important warning sign of problems.
5. Frequent bulb burnout. A light bulb that burns out frequently is a
sign that the bulb is too high a wattage for the fixture.
Ten things you can look for to prevent electrical fires
- Lights dimming, changing in brightness, or repeated lamp failure
- Breakers in a panel that are “hot to the touch”
- Breakers or fuses that seem to “randomly trip” on their own
- Visible arcing or noise coming from your panel (go listen to it when the AC or dryer kicks in – does it make funny noises?)
- Repeated problems with electronic devices not lasting as long as they should
- Switches or dimmers that are “hot to the touch”
- Service entrance components that are damaged or rusty - specifically Pushmatic type breakers or fuse panels
- Plug adapters – UGH!
- Heavy use of extension cords for distribution power
- No GFCI protection (the outlets with the little buttons) within 6’ of a water source, in unfinished spaces, or outside
The top ten electrical fire hazard safety tips were provided by Artisan Electric, electrical contractor in Indiana